I must confess to being seriously puzzled by Ben's post today about the Passion of the Christ. Not having seen the movie, I can't really comment on the substance of the post by David Marsten linked to, but I may be able to clear up something for my esteemed coblogger. Ben critique's Marsten's reference to two types of people: (1) those that want Jesus dead and (2) those that "love Christ." Ben's (I believe mistaken) take on this is that people who "love Christ" is a subset of people that overlaps entirely with the group Christians. Notwithstanding these people, I think we have a nomenclature problem. I'm not qualified to debate Biblical meaning, but one of the commands of Jesus mentioned in all four Gospels (see here and scroll a bit for quotes) is to "love your neighbor as yourself." Now, I don't pretend to be qualified to debate biblical interpretation, but as I've always heard it explained is as a form of the Golden Rule (not to be confused with the Golden Ratio). This makes the people who "love Christ" not just His followers, but also those people who bear Him no ill will, or believe He is being treated unfairly. Conveniently, this interpretation of "love" also dovetails quite nicely with Marsten's disgust towards those who wish Christ dead.
Alas, there's no such nomenclature problem in Ben's dislike for Rush. De gustibus, perhaps, or merely the stress of impending finals. Either way, pity.
- ► 2005 (19)
- Computer Trouble
- The Grade Rant
- In 12th Book of Best-Selling Series, Jesus Returns...
- A Bohemian Mixer, Anyone?
- I'm Back
- Updating Bundling
- Articles of Confederation funnies
- Indian tikka and cancer
- Trailer watch
- "Awaking to a Dream"
- It's all Greek (?) to me
- Ah, Microsoft
- The Grey Album's next step problem
- Sad, and scary
- Shrink-wrap licenses and personal property servitu...
- Evolution and Harvard Law Review
- Dismay at CNN
- Whither the Whats
- Blogging From The Pacific...
- Programming Note
- Restrictions on Alienability, Anti-Commodification...
- Claremont Professor Suspected of Staging Hate Crim...
- Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
- Service Interruption
- Blogging From The Airport: Potbelly Sandwich Works...
- More on Microsoft's Antitrust Mess
- PeopleSoft Merger
- Microsoft Giveaways
- Coerced Virtue
- Link Fest 2004 - Wacky Washington (State) Law Stuf...
- Link Fest 2004 - Random Stuff
- Quote Of The Day
- Century City
- Howard Bashman's Daily To-Do List
- From the department of not-very-surprising correla...
- Hard Cases Make Bad Law . . . But Only If You Have...
- Passion Pt. IV
- And back at ya...
- "Compassion for Mordor"
- A middle ground?
- Pastorelli Dies
- Judging Judicial Activism
- Williams and Will's Reservations
- South Park Does It Again
- Free Wi-Fi at Airports and Some Rambling
- Rush (the band) on Volokh!
- The O.C.
- Husky Sports Update
- Lawyers with too much time on their hands...
- Chief Justice Rehnquist Interview
- Judge Kozinski: Game Theorist
- Of Note: National
- Of Note: California Events
- Of Note: Entertainment
- "McAuliffe’s Strict Constructionism"
- Brian Said It
- Landes On Coase On Antitrust
- Why The Site Will Be Slow For A Few Days
- How I Lost the Big One, By Lawrence Lessig
- ▼ March (63)