For some fun reading check out Carolyn Merchant, Radical Ecology: The Search for a Livable World (Routledge 1992). You can find the book by looking for its cover: it shows some sad-looking native people standing in the jungle holding a sign (no doubt provided by the photographer; I mean, if they're so native, where'd they get the sharpie?) which says: "TIMBER COMPANY: YOU ARE SELLING OUR HOME." One could imagine an addendum to the sign: "TIMBER COMPANY: YOU ARE SELLING OUR HOME TO MAKE THE PAGES FOR THIS BOOK."
Merchant (great last name, huh?) then dedicates the book to, who else, "the Earth." I'm sure the Earth appreciates that. Next, under "Acknowledgments," Merchant notes that "Many people, as well as other organisms and the entire planet, have made this book possible." Where the hell is my cut then?
You get the idea.
- ► 2005 (19)
- Bad TNI
- Yes, Some Students Live in the Library (But Not Li...
- Smooth Criminal or Just Good Friends?
- Meanest Senator
- Toomey v Specter
- That that make you go hmm
- AP Copyright
- Boeing's New 7E7
- Toby Young's Slate Diary on LA
- You Don't See This Everyday
- Frasier is Republican
- Zinn and Chomsky's DVD Commentary for the Fellowsh...
- Things Heard In The Seventh Circuit
- Book Non-Recommendation: "Now is the Time to Open ...
- Those Silly North Koreans
- I was a Supreme Court clerk for THIS?
- Rest In Peace
- Ditching Diversity: Will elites return to racism?,...
- You Can't Say He Didn't Warn You
- Most Influential Law Professors
- Infringement or not -- You decide!
- How Appealing, Hosted by Legalaffairs.com
- Why Am I Blogging So Late?
- My Boys Have All Grown Up . . .
- You thought "live TV" meant "live TV"?
- This Gun's for Hire
- Public Service Announcement
- New Iraq Exit Strategy: Let's Bring Back Hussein, ...
- The Onion's Influence
- Dalai Lama: Modern Spiritual Leader or Sellout?
- How I Spent Summer Vacation: At Getting-Into-Colle...
- 5000 Hits
- Wi-Fi on Planes
- Career choices
- Cleaning House
- Hall of Fame Monitor
- Bush Apologizes!
- Citechecking Silliness
- Us and Them
- The nature of the Bill of Rights
- "Jewish Museum"
- The Academy of Arts and Sciences: Law
- More on corporate obligations
- Citecheck Funnies
- Response to "Corporate Obligations"
- Antitrust and Texbooks
- TV Quake Film Has Experts Shaking -- Heads
- Beating the Airport Lines, Part I: Check-in
- New York Minute
- Subservient Chicken
- Blogging From The Airport: Beating the Lines
- Currie Quip
- Koizumi and Yasukuni
- "Front-Runner's Fall"
- Today's Journal
- Baseball Season Begins!
- Rice Testimony
- Citecheck Funnies
- Southern U Scandal
- Dancing/Conducting Robots
- Conan's future
- On Language On Recusal
- Frakes returns
- SW DVDs
- Thoughts on the Peloponnesian War
- EEZs and Navassa
- Music Suggestion
- A Link From How Appealing . . .
- Is GMail real?
- ▼ April (76)