"Chomsky: The film opens with Galadriel speaking. 'The world has changed,' she tells us, 'I can feel it in the water.' She's actually stealing a line from the non-human Treebeard. He says this to Merry and Pippin in The Two Towers, the novel. Already we can see who is going to be privileged by this narrative and who is not.
Zinn: Of course. 'The world has changed.' I would argue that the main thing one learns when one watches this film is that the world hasn't changed. Not at all.
Chomsky: We should examine carefully what's being established here in the prologue. For one, the point is clearly made that the 'master ring,' the so-called 'one ring to rule them all,' is actually a rather elaborate justification for preemptive war on Mordor.
. . .
"Zinn: You view the conflict as being primarily about pipe-weed, do you not?"
Very funny. Read it in full here. I found all this while reading another fake Chomsky thing via Instapundit. Enjoy.
Saturday, April 24, 2004
- ► 2005 (19)
- Bad TNI
- Yes, Some Students Live in the Library (But Not Li...
- Smooth Criminal or Just Good Friends?
- Meanest Senator
- Toomey v Specter
- That that make you go hmm
- AP Copyright
- Boeing's New 7E7
- Toby Young's Slate Diary on LA
- You Don't See This Everyday
- Frasier is Republican
- Zinn and Chomsky's DVD Commentary for the Fellowsh...
- Things Heard In The Seventh Circuit
- Book Non-Recommendation: "Now is the Time to Open ...
- Those Silly North Koreans
- I was a Supreme Court clerk for THIS?
- Rest In Peace
- Ditching Diversity: Will elites return to racism?,...
- You Can't Say He Didn't Warn You
- Most Influential Law Professors
- Infringement or not -- You decide!
- How Appealing, Hosted by Legalaffairs.com
- Why Am I Blogging So Late?
- My Boys Have All Grown Up . . .
- You thought "live TV" meant "live TV"?
- This Gun's for Hire
- Public Service Announcement
- New Iraq Exit Strategy: Let's Bring Back Hussein, ...
- The Onion's Influence
- Dalai Lama: Modern Spiritual Leader or Sellout?
- How I Spent Summer Vacation: At Getting-Into-Colle...
- 5000 Hits
- Wi-Fi on Planes
- Career choices
- Cleaning House
- Hall of Fame Monitor
- Bush Apologizes!
- Citechecking Silliness
- Us and Them
- The nature of the Bill of Rights
- "Jewish Museum"
- The Academy of Arts and Sciences: Law
- More on corporate obligations
- Citecheck Funnies
- Response to "Corporate Obligations"
- Antitrust and Texbooks
- TV Quake Film Has Experts Shaking -- Heads
- Beating the Airport Lines, Part I: Check-in
- New York Minute
- Subservient Chicken
- Blogging From The Airport: Beating the Lines
- Currie Quip
- Koizumi and Yasukuni
- "Front-Runner's Fall"
- Today's Journal
- Baseball Season Begins!
- Rice Testimony
- Citecheck Funnies
- Southern U Scandal
- Dancing/Conducting Robots
- Conan's future
- On Language On Recusal
- Frakes returns
- SW DVDs
- Thoughts on the Peloponnesian War
- EEZs and Navassa
- Music Suggestion
- A Link From How Appealing . . .
- Is GMail real?
- ▼ April (76)