This article settles it once and for all. Check out this journalist's tour of a Scientology facility:
"At each turn, though, there is a quote on the wall from church founder L.Ron Hubbard, a helpful set of framed posters describing the 'auditing' process, a loaded literature table or a benignly labeled door. And lightly as she describes them, each feels like a chute deep into the church, down which she would happily but firmly push us if we showed the slightest hint of interest.
. . .
First stop inside the door after pleasantries is a heavily retouched portrait of Hubbard gazing wistfully off to starboard, over an inspirational quote about artists and dreamers - (no, not the one where he is reported to have said, 'Writing science fiction for about a penny a word is no way to make a living, If you really want to make a million, the quickest way is to start your own religion.' - it's actually something rather lyrical about dreamers shaping society.)
Next is a peek at Hubbard's 'office:'
Every Scientology center has one, the guide tells us, decorated in a way he would have liked. It is, I suppose, like setting a place at Seder for the prophet - a quaint devotion - although the room is a fairly sterile wood-paneled affair that feels like a set-dresser's portfolio piece rather than a tribute to a valued founder. There is a wall of books on screened shelves, brass lamps, leather furniture and minimalist nautical decorations including the crisp model of a schooner.
On to the lobby, a sort of French-aristocratic sitting room with plenty of gilt, a white grand piano, a trompe l'oeil ceiling and a sludgy-looking impressionist bronze bust of Hubbard."
Worshiping L. Ron Hubbard is almost as insane as it is arbitrary. At least Jesus makes successful movies.
- ► 2005 (19)
- The George Bush narrative
- Help A Poor Guy Out
- For Anyone Heading to LA This Summer
- The Story of the Weeping Camel
- Washingtonienne/Wonkette Interview on Fox News
- Massively Multiplayer Online Gaming Market
- Boalt Is Better Than This
- Snoop Dogg is Getting a Divizzle
- Boalt's silly petition
- News Aggregators
- Google apology ad
- You Learn Something New Everyday
- SNL Season Review
- Fockering around
- An Age-Old Debate Settled
- Schwarzenegger's Saliva for Sale
- Justice Served on Streisand
- Mobile Law Office
- 7th Circuit Follies
- Procrastination Aid
- Little Miss Hooters Contest
- Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle
- Supreme Court of Mexico Newspaper Ad
- Star Wars: Episode III Proposal
- Virtual Church
- "New York Minute" review
- A Dissenting Opinion . . . By Press Release
- The Sweetest Box Score in All of Sports
- Standing on the Left? You Must Be on Vacation
- God's Gift to Football - Mark Brunell?
- Bad News for John Kerry?
- John Cleese Interview
- Kucinich Update
- Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s Dilemma: Diversity or Hon...
- Punitive Damages in the Extended Sphere
- Greece Struggles to Clear Hurdles in Sprint to Gam...
- Blog Meme
- Irony strikes again...
- Bork Bork Bork!
- The Incredibles
- A tad bitter?
- Misleading title
- Perfect price discrimination
- Legos Make Everything Better
- Scientology is a Cult
- Most Cited Legal Periodicals
- Slavery apology
- Crossing the Streams
- Michael Moore, Liar? Nah...
- They Come in All Shapes, Sizes, and Ages
- The Academy of Arts and Sciences' New Members
- Career Change
- Quote of the Day
- Wanda Baucus - Bitch, Bipolar, or Both?
- Cracker Barrel Agrees to Plan to Address Reports o...
- Ad Assails D.C. Cardinal for Stance on Communion
- The Art of the Pool Report
- Two delightful pieces
- Zagats and Naked Royalty
- Houston, We Have a Problem
- Spider-Man Web of Ads Unravels
- A Rent-Free Place, if You Can Find a Spot to Park
- Friends An Underachiever?
- Souterfest 2004
- Mind boggling
- Mariners Win in the Bottom of the 16th Inning
- Funny SNL Skit
- Credit where due
- The Numbers Game
- Peggy Noonan on Rasin in the Sun
- Book review #2
- Book review
- Sex In The Cities, by David Brooks
- European Enlargement
- The Circle of Garfield
- Psychologists in Need of Therapy
- Rep. McDermott Forgot 'Under God', Civil Rights Ac...
- In Re Scalia the Outspoken v. Scalia the Reserved ...
- Justice Souter Assaulted During Jog
- Trailer Watch
- Creationist Theme Parks
- ▼ May (86)